Wednesday, November 18, 2015

11-7-15 Gold Coast Railroad Museum and Fairchild Botanical Gardens:
 This was another excursion for the camera club I joined.   I drove to this one by myself.  Still don't really know anyone in the club.   The couple ladies I talk to at some of the meetings don't seem to go to the excursions---their husbands are really the photographer buffs.  Anyway, this club is getting me out to places I probably wouldn't have gone to on my own, or know about, so I'm enjoying that much.  This trip was another fairly far away one---about 50 minutes.  It was south of downtown Miami, but actually pretty easy to get to by way of the toll road 75.  I did veer off the wrong way once, but remembered Josh mentioning it was near Homestead, so was pretty sure I went the wrong way as soon as I did.  My Garmin didn't acknowledge the address and my phone's Garmin wasn't speaking to me---wonder what I did to tick her off?!  But I knew the direction I should be going and was able to pull off the wrong highway and make my way back to the right one.
I arrived at the Railroad Museum about 15 minutes early.   The president of the club brought guava and cheese danish for us---boy were they good!  Being the first Sat. of the month, entrance fee to the museum was free---usually it's a modest $8/adult or $6/child over 2.  Here we are entering the museum.
Someone knew one of the volunteers, too, so we also got a free guided tour.
 The Gold Coast Railroad Museum was founded in 1956 and was built on the former Naval Air Station Richmond and is actually on the other side of the parking lot for Zoo Miami.  The ample  space of the old base was an ideal place to build a railroad museum with it's 3+ miles of tracks.  It houses over 30 historic trains including classic railroad cars like the Western Pacific "Silver Crescent”,
  the Presidential car "Ferdinand Magellan",
and engines like the Florida East Coast "Flagler System” .
 They even offer short train rides for a small fee which I didn't do, but now wish I had.
I had some reservations about this excursion.  I remembered going to the Museum of Transportation a couple times in St. Louis and although it was pretty neat, I never made it a point to go back these last 20 years or so.  But I really enjoyed this excursion!  For a photo shoot, it was ideal---lots of old trains with mechanical architecture, as well as rusted metal creating colorful patinas.  I went a little crazy taking pictures!  Here are just a few of them:







 Love how this looks like 2 kid faces and a 1 eyed adult!  It might be my photo club entry.





 another "face"

 for some reason, this is the car that intrigued me the most!







 in an odd way---another "face" with a 1 tooth smile.
hand print
 I can even see a "face" here.


 considering entering this picture, too.
 there was even a train to walk through.  (Maybe a B&W entry?)

 interesting configurations.
 even a lounge car.
 and an observation 2nd story car.  This is the one I'd be in most of the time.  In fact, we've ridden in the Coast Starlight on the West coast and have spent a lot of time in it's observation car.
 The painting on a train car by the entrance/exit of the museum.
 
Since I was already south of Miami and it was still early afternoon, I decided to go to the Botanical Gardens in Coral Gables---Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden.  It was an easy 10 mile or so ride from the RAilroad Museum through a beautiful area of Coral Gables and is a reciprocal garden with MOBOT.
Admission would have been $25 if I didn't have my MOBOT membership which made it free.   Considering admission to MOBOT is only $3, our family membership there for $52 saves me a lot of money at gardens elsewhere!  Fairchild is a 83-acre garden, with extensive collections of rare tropical plants including palms and cycads.    I love palm trees and was fascinated by the variety of palms here!
A few of my hundreds of pictures from here:
 I didn't notice what a neat design of trees this was until I was editing the pictures .
 Love the palm finials for the railings.
 some of the few actual flowers here.
 back of the main entrance/gift shop building which leads into the garden.

 I recognize this as a Rainbow Eucalyptus from our many trips to Hawaii.
 banana tree, but with different coloring on the leaves then I'm use to seeing on banana trees.
 view across a pond near the Tram Plaza.
 The free tram for the guided tour.  They have them with Spanish speaking tour guides, too. 
 wandering through the grounds.
 I always love reflection pictures.
 the little outdoor cafe that I sat at for awhile before leaving just enjoying the views and the pleasant breeze.
 more of the many ponds.
 sculpture in the garden
 small part of the cactus garden as seen from the tram.
 flowering tree---in Nov.
 another walkway
 one of the many more common palms.

 scenic spot for wedding pictures.


 another cafe and area where the Wings of Flight and lots of other stuff are.  I didn't get off here, but will next time.
 another statue
 beautiful landscaping
 a "furry" palm
 our tram guide and a life size statue of Marjory Stoneman Douglas---environmentalist known for her staunch defense of the Everglades against efforts to drain it and reclaim land for development.



 some of the Chihuly remaining after their exhibition awhile back.
 We saw many of these palms in Maui and wondered what they were.  I thought the name for them was very appropriate when hearing it while on the tram, but now I can't remember what it is.
 Another view of the pond from the tram.
 This unique tree lives many years, then flowers once, seeds, and dies.  Apparently it had just bloomed.  We saw one of these in Kauai a few years ago and it, too, had just bloomed.  
 They called this a "sausage" tree. 
 another interesting trunk of a palm tree.

 Another flowering tree. 
 another interesting palm.
 there were about 50 of these guys all over this plant. 
 Loved these little sitting areas throughout the grounds.
 I presume classes are held here.
 another banana tree beginning to fruit
 large lilies.

 more flowers
 a very long pergola walkway.
 Loved the way the green and white went together here.
 more colorful flowers.
 another building in the garden.

 more familiar flowers from Hawaii---bell flowers above and ginger below.
 texture of a leaf.
 a type of hybiscus?
 looks like a snapping turtle
 a relaxing view.
 Hopefully I'll make it back here again!
 This was already a full day and a great one, but there was still a lot to do.  Ken flew back from STL this evening, so I went straight from the gardens to FLL and waited for his 6:30 flight to arrive.  Then we went home and packed for our cruise starting the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment