Friday, November 6, 2015

11-2-Flamingo Gardens
Another reciprocal garden with MOBOT is Flamingo Gardens in Davie, Florida.  I had been there before (a couple years ago), but didn't realize how close it really is to our place.  Only about 5 miles from Sawgrass Mills, so I ran by there a few minutes on my way back home.  But back to Flamingo Gardens---I was surprised to see that it, too, was about $28 admittance fee without a pass.  I think I'll be renewing my MOBOT membership again.  I discovered there are a couple more gardens over in the Sanibel/Ft. Myers area.
Anyway---I got there about 5 minutes before the tram ride that takes you through the gardens.  So I hussled there and rode around first.
Here we are passing the Wray summer home from the 1930s.   The oaks by the house are 150-200 years old.  I didn't tour the house today, but have toured it in the past.  It's interesting to see how people lived back in those days.

 the tram took us around a lake, too.
 some of the lakes residents.

I got off the tram just in time to make it to the amphitheater to hear the animal encounter.

 Then I headed into the aviary. 
 one of the many birds
 and a pelican
 Alas, I even managed to get a few pictures of gardens.  It's also a wild life refuge.
 It also has many of the oldest trees in Florida---such as this one
 There are also----Flamingos
 a little lizards with stripes.
A swan coming to visit.
 one of the 3 river otters.
 a few more flowers.
 a wanna be flower
 There were even decorations for Halloween that were still up.
 Back to the entrance/exit.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment