Thursday, March 31, 2016

March 28, 2016---back to Wakodahatchee:

Figured it would be a good day to go check out the progress of the bird nursery at Wakodahatchee, so I did.
Lots of tri-colored herons in their mating plumage and nesting.
The baby great blue herons are really getting big!
 The wood storks are still building nests
The cattle egrets were also building nests
the stilts were just hanging around
 lots of wild flowers blooming.
a purple gallinule just wandering around.  I looked for it's cousin, the swamp hen, and her babies that I saw last time I went, but couldn't find them.  I hope the flooding or alligators didn't get them!
There are baby great blue herons in several areas of the wetlands.  They all seem to be about the same age.
an anhinga hiding.  Some of those babies are off and flying now.  The others are getting close.
part of the walkway
 a female red winged black bird.
?
This was the big find of the day----nesting Limpkins.  I've only seen a couple Limpkins before (never here), but here was a pair up in the trees prepping a nest.
 across the path from the Limpkins is this Green heron's nest with egg in it.  The heron was close by.
Since I hardly ever see these guys, I'm adding a couple more pictures of them.

 A cormorant.  There were a few of those guys born the same time as the anhingas. 
  Another wood stork carrying nest building material.
a great white egret with nest building material---haven't seen any of them with babies yet, either.
I guess the birds are use to seeing humans around.  Some of them let you get really close.
 the feet of the cormorant.

another great white egret building it's net
 the 3rd set of baby Great Blue Herons. 
a female greckle
a large fish---looks like an algae eater.  With all the birds here, I'm a little surprised they can find enough fish to feed themselves and their young.  

No comments:

Post a Comment