Monday, March 7, 2016

Feb. 29---Leap day at Green Cay!:

One more day on my own before hubby returns.  So, I went to the birds again!  I hadn't been to Green Cay as often as Wakodahatchee, so I went there---first.  I was a bit surprised how many fewer birds are here then at Wakodahatchee just a few short miles away.  But I did see a couple more birds to add to my "never seen before" list!  And it was a beautiful day for a walk, so plenty birds or no birds, it was a good day.
They even had the bird feeders refilled, so I got to see a couple birds there.  I believe this is a female Painted Bunting.
A male Painted Bunting.  I've seen a few of these guys of different sizes at different times.
 The male again.
 A feast for the eyes!

 Here you can see why the yellow rump warbler got it's name.
 One of the new guys for me----Red Shouldered Hawk.
 him again.
 one more just because I've never seen him before.
 an Ibis in flight.
A Limpkin, I believe.  Similar to a Bittern, but the Limpkin has a longer beak.  Don't see too many of either of them.  Couldn't get in a position to get a better picture of him before he disappeared under the boardwalk.
a Wood Stork in flight
 a Great Blue Heron
 Great Egret getting a tiny fish snack.
 2 types of Moorhens.
 This was another first for me----Cedar Waxwing
 Really cool bird.  I put this picture on Facebook in the Wakodahatchee and Green Cay group and got over 140 likes for it!  They also told me what it is.
 There was actually a small flock of them.  There's 2 in this picture.
 A pair of doves resting.  I love the "cooing" sound they make---reminds me of Hawaii for some reason.
 I'm always trying to get pictures of the swallows, or martins, or whatever they are that are always darting around so quickly.  Got a few somewhat decent photos of them. 
 a male Grackle.
 The little darting guys again.  The one looks quite colorful!  I think they are Tree Swallows.
 And a strutting Swamp Hen.
 Lots of flowers in bloom, too. 
That was it for Green Cay.  Then I decided to see if I could get into Wakodahatchee for a little bit before sunset since they're so close together.  Check out my next blog for that short adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment