Tuesday, March 22, 2016

March 21, 2016---back to WAkodahatchee!

It was a brisk night last night!  Our week of 80s is over and today we were lucky to get to 70.  But after a rough morning, I decided to head to Wakodahatchee for awhile.  Glad I did, it was another great day to be outside!  I got rather lucky with finding a spot in just a few minutes, especially since this week is Spring Break for all the schools around here.  There were lots of families out there. 
A tri colored heron in it's breeding attire.
one of the black neck stilts that seem to have made this their home for now.
a soft shell turtle trying to warm up.
the little Sora in the same area where I saw one of them last time.
 I believe this is a palm warbler.
But here's what I came to find today!  I'd heard there were baby Swamp Hens and I wanted to find them.
Such an odd little bird.   
There were actually 2 of them.  Here, their colorful momma is feeding them.
 One last picture of these cute little guys.
 Similar to the Swamp Hens in color are these smaller cousins--- Purple Gullinule
 Still a lot of nest building and lots of nesting egrets and herons, but still not too many babies other then the bunch of Anhinga babies.
tri colored heron in flight.
again.
 a couple of the Stilts flying around.
a tri colored dancing in the water.
 This pair of wood storks was picking at something moving around in the leaves there.  Never could see what it was, but I'm thinking maybe a frog or snake?
 a low flying wood stork
another picture of the wood stork.
 one of the baby Great Blues eating a fish momma brought over
 Momma and the 2 babies.
The one who got the fish laughing at the other one who didn't get any.
 part of the wetlands.
 a wood stork saying, "hey, what are you looking at!"
a great egret in flight 
 one of the gators I saw today
 notice the blue eggs this green heron is going to.
 another picture of the stilts
another gator.
 a yellow rump warbler, I presume.
I tried to go to Green Cay when I left here, but that parking lot was actually too full for me.  So I went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment