Monday, March 7, 2016

Feb. 29---leap day at Wakodahatchee:

After walking all around Green Cay, I went by Wakodahatchee to see if I could drive right in and park.  Fortunately I was able to!  That doesn't happen very often!  So I went on in.
 Love seeing all the birds there in their mating plumage!
 I find it amazing that even the area around their eyes change colors.
 a pair grooming themselves
 Lots and lots seemed to have paired up.  Many were also building nests.
 Don't know if they can lift their mating plumage like a peacock or if the wind just did this.
 red bellied whistling ducks.
 a baby Great Blue Heron.
 a couple of the Whistling ducks in flight.
 one of the baby anhingas with it's wing feathers coming in.
 Even the anhinga's eyes change colors.  Usually it's black all around with reddish eyeballs.
 mother and baby anhinga.
 Love watching these guys grow!
 There was a flock of red bellied whistling ducks dancing on the water.  This was a small group of them.
 By now the sun was really getting low, so I took a few back lit pictures as I headed out.
 a couple Wood Storks getting wind blown.
 Part of the flock of Red Bellied Whistling Ducks here at Wakodahatchee.
Only had about an hour here, but it was worth while.  Going to miss these places when we move!

No comments:

Post a Comment