Saturday, April 9, 2016

4-8-2016---to Wakodahatchee with Ken to see the baby Wood Storks!

Before leaving for the wetlands, I tried calling the gal about the Canon Rebel and lenses (from the camera club), but no one answered.  She happened to call back when we were on the road.  I made up my mind I did want them and knew she was kind of on the way to the wetlands.  We were about to turn around and go back for money when she said no need to do that, just come get the equipment now and send the money.  So we did!  Good thing she called---when I got to the wetlands, I realized I had left my battery to my 60D on the charger.  Fortunately there was charge in the one I just got, so I tried out my big lens on it as well as one of the other lenses for a good trial.  I think it did quite well!  Noticeably slower then my other camera, but still has a lot of good features.

The baby Wood storks and baby green herons are at Wakodahatchee now!  Seems like the parents have been sitting on the eggs for a long time!  Couldn't find the cute little Swamp Hens again today, but did see several baby wood storks, a baby green heron and even a few new baby anhingas.
The water was exceptionally clear today.  So I watched this anhinga swimming around underwater looking for dinner.
 thought this reflection of a black neck stilt was cool.
 anhinga with very young babies.
One of the wood stork families.
 the baby was even talking most of the time.
some of the pretty blooming weeds there.
 I keep thinking the ponds are going to be fished out by all the birds feeding on them, but looks like there's plenty of tiny ones around.
 2 of the "baby" great blue herons
 we even saw some schools of larger fish.

 Even came across this colorful dragonfly

and a green heron wandering around
love his "doo".
the baby green heron.  Almost as cute as the baby wood stork.
 a pair of black bellied whistling ducks
  one that didn't make it.
a nest with 3 babies in it.

 love how green it's gotten there!
 a wood stork couple
 snapped a couple pictures on the way home.  Love the yellow trees!
 Even headed to Loxahatchee for a little bit.
 I think this is a Downy wood pecker, but not sure
 Saw one of these guys at Wakodatatchee once, but don't remember it's name.
more by Loxahatchee
 The gravel road we normally go to when we're here to watch sunset.
 Neat old tree.
looking at the canal next to the large Loxahatchee waterway.

 That was it for today.  I know there were 2 groups looking at Angie's house today.  One was really interested, but Angie's realtor doesn't think they can afford it.  They said they were putting an offer on it, but Angie hasn't heard anything yet.  They have 4 or 5 viewings tomorrow, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment