Friday, April 22, 2016

4-20-16  Naples, Sanibel, Captiva, Naples-----

I have a short list of "gotta dos" before we leave Florida.  One was getting back to the Gulf coast for sunset.  I had planned on going to the Missouri Botanical Garden's reciprocal garden in Ft. Myers (the Ford summer home), but  I realized that what I really wanted was to hang out by the beaches all day!  So I suggested we head into Naples and check out the beach there.  Someone in the camera club told me about the Naples Pier; so we went there.  Boy am I glad I was told about the pier!!!  It was so beautiful that I thought about nixing the plans to go to Sanibel and just staying there.
I even enjoyed the ride over on Alligator Alley.
Amazing to know that we were riding over a slow-moving river 60 miles wide and over 100 miles long.
The canal is just part of the river that's used more often, but the Sawgrass is mostly growing in water and fanboats can easily glide over it.

there were a few berms with roads on them, but they're all man made.
 We even drove through the Big Cypress Reserve near Naples.  Note the fence with the barb wire on the top---I assume that's to keep the panthers over there since it's also a panther preserve.
 Didn't see any panthers, but did see some cattle.
 Drove down the very tourist street of 5th Avenue in Naples.


such a fun street.  Angie and I had lunch somewhere along here when we went to Naples.


LOved the landscaping!
Love all the old growth, too.
 Made it to the historic pier.
 looking north from the pier.
looking south
on the south side looking at the pier
 under the pier
 on the north side looking at the pier
on the pier.  There's even a refreshment stand on the pier.
some adventuresome bathers with a dolphin checking them out.  I'd be afraid a shark would be checking me out!
sail boats
 I presume these are a male and a female brown pelicans.
 one of the 2 dolphins I saw swimming around there.
one of the huge schools of fish I saw by the pier.
  half way out on the pier looking back.  That water was calling my name!!!
Ken had dropped me off and was driving around, so I reluctantly left the beach and rejoined him.
Then we drove around the area a bit marveling at the houses.
I loved all the multi level decks on this one.
 Another view of the pier from farther south.
quiet area down this way.
back to marveling at the houses of the "filthy rich"
 can't even get the whole house in the picture.
Love how they're all different and most have fancy entryways.
 and a lot of very old growth trees like this banyon tree.
 Love the way the vines have decorated this box.
one of the subdivisions even had it's own little bird nursery!  That would be so cool to have in our front yard---or back yard!
cute little church
 of course you have to have a boat if you live here, too!

 another fancy entryway.
 and another.
what can I say???!!!!
 love the pavered and grass driveway.
 a lot for sale on the beach!  Maybe we can go in with 50 of our best friends and put a yurt community on it?
 bet these neighbors would love that!
 the typical tree lined street in Naples.
 the typical size house in Naples.
 back to the pier for a view from farther north.
a close up from there.
So long Naples---on our way to Sanibel now.
took us about 45 minutes to get there from Naples.  Here we are crossing the bridge to Sanibel (the fee was $6/car now).
 Even those causeway beaches looked inviting, but we were hungry so drove on.
 We had dinner at Gramma Dot's with Brenda and Jerry last time we were here and enjoyed it so much we went there again.  It was great again.  We shared a caesar salad and a fish and chips lunch.
 It was on a marina, so we got to watch a few boats come and go. 
 Angie bragged about the doughnuts here at Bennett's in Sanibel, so we stopped and got a couple of them for later.
 Best doughnuts in Florida. 
Liked this chair.
 We drove through the National park of J.N. Ding Darling. 
Hoped to see the jumping fish that we saw last time, but they were lazy today.
interesting plant.
saw a few birds like these ducks---I believe they're mottled ducks.
I believe this is a juvenile glossy ibis.
one of the views into the waterways.
 another bird---great white egret
 he even posed for a closeup.
then we drove to the end of Captiva Island and looked around a bit.  But I was still itching to get back to the Naples Pier for sunset, so we started our trip back.
 on Captiva island--wind blown tree.
 cactus garden by the highway in Captiva.
 beautiful tree lined highway in Captiva.
beautiful flowering tree.
 Back on SAnibel we drove past Chee Burger Chee Burger which we had also gone to with Jerry and Brenda.  We considered going back here for lunch, too, but ultimately went with Gramma Dot's.
 Wonder when this was last used?
 More chairs I love!
 cute mailbox.
heading back to the mainland.
 saw several of these poles in Ft. Myers.  Apparently they're for ospreys to build their nests on and the ospreys actually know that!
Got back to Naples Pier pretty close to 6.  The water was a little rougher, but still inviting.
 Ken even came down to the beach.   He wouldn't get in the water, though.  But I did.  It was great!
Got a kick out of watching this boy net fishing.  The bird followed him around like a puppy.  The boy was smart enough to take the bucket with the fish in it back out to the water with him.  
We also watched the dolphins
 and this piper.
and the kids playing in the water.
this little guy was quite good with his skim board.
 it was a gorgeous evening!
and the crowds started to gather for sunset.  
 We picked a perfect day to come here for sunset!
so I went a little crazy taking pictures.
 even got sun rays in the mix.

 I decided I should get some pictures from the other side, too.  I was somewhat surprised with the tons of people on that side taking pictures of the sun without obstacles.  I like having things in the picture to give it scale and interest.
 more interesting obstacles.
ok, I guess if the sky is interesting, an unobstructed view can be nice, too!

Heading back to the uncrowded side.
will there be a green flash????
 Yes!!!!!  And the clapping begins.  I'm always amused by the clapping when the sun sets.
Now that the sun has set, the people started leaving in groves.  That always surprises me, too, because about 10 minutes after the sun sets is when the clouds really start to light up.
 and it did!  We had another 20 minutes or so of brilliantly painted skies.

Finally our parking time ran out and it was time to start our 2 hour ride back across Alligator Alley.  But I made Ken drive up 5th Avenue again.  Definitely a happening place!

love all the lanterns in the trees.

and lights on the trees.
 even an old car for nostalgia.
 one last photo
Didn't get back until about 10:30 pm, but it was a great day!  Even though I've been to Naples before (once with Angie), we never went to the beach.  I loved it then and love it even more now!!!  I even think Ken enjoyed it.  Too bad we didn't do this sooner!  I think he would have been good with driving over to Naples for the day a few more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment