Saturday, April 16, 2016

4-14-16 --- back to WAkodahatchee !

Time to check and see what new babies are at Wakodahatchee!  Every week I see new babies and the others grow so fast!  Some of the baby Great Blue Herons from a month or so ago are still in their nests, but are so big now that I would expect them to be on their own.  Some of the anhinga babies are out and about now, some are climbing around on the trees but still coming to mom and dad for food, and there are new ones again.  Last week I saw the first of the baby wood storks.  Today there were a lot more of them.  Last week I saw a baby green heron, today it and the nest were gone!  Haven't seen the baby Swamp Hens the last couple weeks, either.  But today I saw the first of the baby Great White Egret babies.  It's one big nursery!
Since I use my 150-600 mm lens on my dslr, I don't often get scenic shots of the wetlands.  But today I remembered to take my phone out of my pocket and document how pretty and green things are getting.  I even went in the morning thinking I'd avoid the heat and maybe see some fishing going on.  But it was really humid and sunny, so there wasn't much going on except for me sweating!





 On to the close ups.  Here were the egrets I could see pretty well with my 600mm lens.  I could see another nest with some in it, but they were too obstructed to get any views of. 
 The baby birds are so cute and funny looking.
 and amazingly noisy!
the flocks of whistling ducks are gone, but there are a few stragglers still hanging around.
Talk about crazy looking babies!---but then their parents are pretty bizaar looking, too---wood storks.
 Yes, they are noisy!
a pair of wood storks with one grooming the other.  
 another baby wood stork
 Those heads have got to be really heavy for those little guys!
A parent regurgitating a fish to feed it's babies.
 the baby encouraging it's parent to hurry up with the regurgitation.
 Heading on down the boardwalk.  Love the sound these grackles make.
a Jesus lizard hanging out at Wakodahatchee.
 a wood stork taking care of it's egg.  I never knew that they turn them.
 a wood stork cruis'in the airways probably trying to get a break from all the screaming babies.
 another wood stork taking a relaxing bath.
 they're so cute I had to include one more baby wood stork picture.
Don't know the status of this green heron's nest.  Now that the leaves are so big, I can't see it's nest anymore.  Hopefully it didn't have the same fate as the other green heron's nest.
Even though it was hot, I decided to go to Green Cay, too.  I haven't been there in awhile and it's so close to WAkodahatchee.  So check out my next blog for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment