Thursday, April 28, 2016

4-26-16---Balearia Ferry to Grand Bahamas for some snorkeling!

Back in Feb. Angie and I bought Groupons for the Balearia Ferry to Grand Bahamas out of Port Everglades.    We thought it would be a fun day trip for our spouses and us to do some snorkeling at Paradise Cove.  So we each bought 2 tickets at $42@.   I don't know what the regular price of the ferry is, but the $42 was even with a 20% discount off the normal Groupon price.  There was another $18@ charge for port fees to be paid when reservations are made.  Turns out Angie and Josh moved before they could use their Groupon, so who knows what will happen to those tickets.  I'd like to take them, but we're running out of time here, too.  Anyway---this was another of my "gotta do" things on my short list before we move.  Last week we made it to the Gulf coast for the day and to see a beautiful sunset; now we got to go over to Grand Bahamas to a place that holds fond memories for me from years ago when the kids and I spent 3 nights there at Paradise Cove.  The kids and I fell in love with the beach and the great snorkeling there and have often talked about going back for a few nights.  Haven't made it back for that yet, but Angie and I made it back on a cruise a couple years ago and loved the snorkeling again, so I was excited to take Ken there and let him see a little of what we enjoyed so much the couple times the kids and I made it there.

The ferry people said we "had" to get there 2 hours early.  I knew that couldn't be enforced, but I figured by shooting for that, we would definitely not miss the boat!  So we got up at 4:40 am, and were on the road by about 5:05.  Took the fastest route there---the Sawgrass Expressway to the Florida Turnpike---and got there about 5:40.  I was surprised when we got to the ferry check in building and there were already people there, but check in went fast.  Then we sat in the waiting area for the next 1 1/2 hours.  I had read a bunch of reviews about the ferry, so this was no surprise to me.  I was surprised at all the negative reviews, but most of them seemed unwarranted.  People complained of being turned away for not having proper documentation, or for the waiting area not having a tv, or for having to wait so long, or being turned away for arriving too late (we saw people boarding within 30 minutes of departure, so I wonder how late they really were), or things like the bathrooms being hot, or the sitting area being cold, or it rocked too much and people were throwing up everywhere, ... .  If you travel enough, you just learn to expect stuff like that.

I pride myself on being a prepared traveler.  So I was greatly disappointed when I realized that I had forgotten my contact lenses!!!  My prescription is a -9, so I was trying to picture if I would be able to see anything if I snorkeled without them.  But we didn't have time to go back and get them, so would just have to accept that I'd be snorkeling without contacts, or maybe I would rent a kayak or do something else instead.  We finally got to board the ferry.  I was rather impressed!  I've been on 1 other long ferry ride (from Port Angeles, Washington, to Victoria, BC) and this one seemed a whole lot more comfortable. But I even enjoyed the Port Angeles ferry!
Here's the deck we entered onto.  
I immediately went to the 2nd level to get a 2 seater by  a window.  I found the seats very comfortable and even slept a good part of the 3 hour ride over to Grand Bahamas.  It was a bit rough, but I found the constant rocking to be rather soothing. 
View from the Balearia shortly after boarding---right after I took my dslr out of it's camera bag and turned it on only to find out the battery was dead and I didn't have the charger or an extra battery for it with me!  At least I had my point and shoot underwater camera and it was fully charged!
 Finally, about 20 minutes late the ferry started moving.  Here's the same view we see when we leave by cruise ship---only this time we were much closer to the water.
I was a bit concerned by all the clouds the first hour or 2.  We even hit some pretty good rain.  According to weather.com it was suppose to be sunny and warm---not even partly cloudy!
By the time we got to Grand Bahamas, conditions were looking much better.  I had emailed the proprietors of Paradise Cove and had arranged for them to pick us up at 11:30.  Unfortunately, at 11:30 we were still waiting to clear customs and corralled into a huge group waiting to disembark.  That was also about the time I heard someone calling what sounded close to my name.  I couldn't believe he was really calling me so I just looked at him.  He kept calling and Ken finally answered for me.  It was the proprietor of Paradise Cove that I had emailed and he was traveling on the ferry, too.  He was trying to find me to let me know that the driver wasn't going to wait for us, but would be right back after dropping off some other guests.  I was glad he let us know or we would have not waited the 30 minutes for him to come back and would have been taking a taxi somewhere.  Maybe that wouldn't have been so bad under the circumstances, but I was looking forward to going to this beach.  I had been to the only real town on Grand Bahamas and wasn't all that impressed with it.  So we waited and were picked up about 12:30.  I was expecting a lot of people there with the 2 cruise ships in port.
Along the bus ride there I took a few pictures.  This was one of the piles of conch shells that we saw along the way.  The driver said they package them and send them off somewhere.
one of the market places along the way.  No market today.
Took about 20 minutes or so to get there.  It was as beautiful as ever!  When I saw Barry (the proprietor) on the ferry, I asked if they rented prescription goggles and he said yes---up to a -6, so I was excited that I might be able to snorkel after all.  -6 is a far cry from -9, but I know things are magnified underwater so figured it might work. 
Since we brought our own snorkel gear, we got 20% off the bus and entrance rate so were charged $32@.  Although we did pay an additional $10 for the prescription goggles and another $5 for a locker.  Later we also bought a burger from the Red Bar.  
Heading to the beach to lay our stake.
For 2 cruise ships and a ferry being in town, I was surprised how few people were there.  We were the only ones from the ferry there.
 Some of the toys they have for rent.
Finally, prescription mask on and heading in.
Not heading too far, though!  The dang goggles kept filling up with water!  I tightened them, loosened them, tried everything I could think of for about 30 minutes with the same results.  By now my eyes were stinging and I was ready to ditch them and use my own without a prescription.  But first decided to take them back and get our money back for them.   They had another pair of -6s and asked if I wanted to try them first.  So I did.
Heading in a 2nd time.  This time the goggles were acceptable.  Still got water in the nose area, but it wasn't in my eyes.  I was missing my nose purge, but could deal with salt water in the nose.  Could even deal with the horrible snorkel.  The water was choppy, but I've never taken in as much water as I did with that snorkel!  Must have swallowed a gallon of that lovely salt water protozoan  soup.  But I could actually see quite well with the prescription of -6, so I was pretty happy---between gulps of water.  Hindsight--I should have used the snorkel I brought.
the first fish
Next was a turtle!
 doesn't look that choppy, but it was.
 Looking back towards Paradise Cove beach. 
Out near the reef we saw a few small fish, but it was really shallow.  Apparently we got there near low tide, too.
 One of the deeper areas, but still not many fish
 The water was crystal clear, though, and a comfy 82 or 83 degrees.

Love the "cornelli lace" design on brain coral.  I use to duplicate this on cakes back when I did a lot of cake decorating.
Finally got between a couple of the big reefs out a ways.  I thought this is where Angie and I saw so many fish and green fan coral, but this didn't look like as much.  Angie and I also swam on the outer side of the reef, but it was too choppy and a current was flowing pretty good between the rocks.
I was also afraid to go where it was much deeper since I wouldn't be able to see as well.
So we decided to head back in.
probably about 1/2 way back.
When the kids and I came here about 15 years ago, we collected 4 or 5 of these and I still display them in our house in St. Louis.
 The darker area here is mostly sea grass.  The light green is sand.
here, too.
 Ken leading the way.
Looking back towards the reef.
looking way down the beach from Paradise Cove
the sea grass as seen underwater.
 Ken with another sea biscuit.  They are quite large.
Loving the different colors in the water.
 Almost back to the beach
 more variations of color in the water.
 We were told about some concrete artificial reef balls that were added to the cove, so Ken suggested we go find them.
Found them!  They were actually pretty neat.  I believe the guy told us there were 275 of them in all.  He also said there were a lot of fish around and in them.  He was right.
Peaking through the hole in the top of one.
peaking through a hole on the side of one.
 It was cool watching the fish file out of one dome and head into the next one.
We went right on down the line with our fish tour guides leading the way.


 The domes were in shallow water not far from shore---a great addition especially for snorkelers who don't want to go all the way out to the rock reef. 
Ken showing off a conch that he found.

 a lone sergeant major in the group.

 and a lone adolescent french angelfish
 They got tired of having singe file rows.
 Pretty neat.
I'm glad we took the time to find them.
a lone blue tang
 a  spotfin butterflyfish ?
 a porgy
lots of different kinds of snappers and grunts.
Looking towards the beach with the artificial reef showing underwater.
Looking the other way following the artificial reef.
 a lonely goatfish and another snapper
 a couple wrasses
 another blue tang
one of their home made reefs.
coral?
 time to head back to the beach.
almost on shore when I ran into these little fishies.
Back on shore we had a burger from the Red Bar Grill there are Paradise Cove, then I wandered around taking a few pictures.
 towards the reef where we snorkeled first.
 back to the beach
 One of the water "toys".

 more of the outer reef.  I realized later that when Angie and I snorkeled from the cruise, the best area was just to the right of this picture.  Ken and I didn't go far enough over.
foliage to the side


The sign says it all---------------

About 4:30 we got back on the bus along with a couple other people.  Then we waited for another couple who decided departure time was time to shop the little gift store there at Paradise Cove.  I was a little anxious about the 4:45 time to be back on board, but that wasn't a problem.  We got back to the port about 5 and were some of the first ones back on board.   This time we were able to board right away.  I kept thinking I'd have a better photo op of the ferry "later", but that never came.  I took this one before boarding for our return trip.  This almost shows that it is a big catamaran. 
 the main seating area of coach class
they even have a little area where you can store your luggage.  
 one of the 2 snack/bar areas I saw.
 the snack area.
By the time we shoved off, my stomach was feeling a bit queezy---not from the motion of the ship, but probably from drinking a gallon of Paradise Cove ocean water.  I waited in a long line here for a Sprite and a bag of Doritos---for about $5.50.  Fortunately the Sprite helped a lot.
Back it up to when we boarded.  We headed back up to the 2nd level.
There is a first class area, too, but we had coach seats.

 We decided to sit at one of the 6 tables with 4 seats around it by where we sat on the way out.  Turned out no one wanted to sit with us.  I had brought a bottle of tea and a box of Fiber One bars with us.   Ate some for breakfast and had a snack on the way back.
I'm not sure what time the ferry was suppose to leave, but it departed about 6:10.   Here's the port area of Grand Bahamas.
 Heading out of the port.
the ferry even has several slot machines which were hardly used.  The doors in the middle here led out to a deck where I went to watch our departures and sunset.
 on the tail of the ship
 Not the most spectacular sunset, but it's over the ocean!

I love the illusion of the sun flattening out as it reaches the horizon.
 Being clear on the horizon, I watched to see if we'd get a green flash.  We did, but I knew me point and shoot camera wouldn't get a good picture of it.  We got back into Port Everglades about 9:30 and waited for clearance again.  Then were herded down to customs where we breezed through rather quickly.   Then we made our way back to the adjacent parking garage where we parked for the day for $15.  I was surprised to find very few cars there.  I expected to have a line of cars waiting to leave, but we were the only ones.

From there we headed down I-95 to exit 33B in search of dinner.  We knew Moonlight Diner would still be open so we had a late, very good dinner.  Finally got back to our place in Coral Springs a little after 11 pm.  A long day, but a good one!

Was the day everything I expected?  Not hardly!!!  I created a lot of obstacles for myself!  But in spite of myself, I had a great time and I think Ken did, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment