Sunday, February 28, 2016

Feb. 21, 2016---biking along the dirt road at Loxahatchee:

When we were at the main entrance to Loxahatchee a couple weeks ago, I picked up a bike trail flier for Loxahatchee and noticed the berm by where we go for sunset is listed as a 15 mile section of the trail.  So I decided to load the bike up on the bike rack and head up to Loxahatchee.  First time I've used the bike rack since we've been here in South Florida!  I had ridden a mile or so down the dirt road before when I've ridden my bike there from our apartment.  This time I wanted to go farther, so I decided to start at the parking lot there in the park.
It was another beautiful winter day here in South Florida!  Some where around 80 degrees, sunny, with big billowing clouds.  I knew I wasn't going to ride the whole 15 miles, but did get about 7 miles before turning back.  That's when I noticed there was more wind then I thought!  It was some work getting back.  Even came across one group of bikers changing a bike tire and another couple resting after the women got exhausted.  But it was a beautiful day and I was in no hurry.  So I stopped and took pictures here and there and just enjoyed the scenery.
a couple motor boats flew by me.  The lake off to the right was quite large.
 the canal on the left continued the whole way, too.
 Looking to the right (north) again.
 I wondered if this was a Balk Eagle.

 love the reflections of the sky in the water.
 more of the lake and reflections.
 and more.
 even saw an alligator and several ducks.
 heading back towards the parking lot
 one of the motor boats that passed me earlier.
 more of the trail.  Some spots had the water blocked.

 Here's that bird in question again.  I only had my p&s camera, so this is blown up pretty much, but it looks to me like this is an Osprey.  A very large one!
 I presume these areas are for flood control.  Didn't look like boats could get from one side to the other as far as I rode, but there were a couple of these areas where water flowed freely. 
 The clouds were thickening up and getting dark.  I wondered if I'd make it back before it rained.
I did.  But it sure poured a little later!  We're having a very wet winter for South Florida.  But it still beats snow and cold up north!

No comments:

Post a Comment