Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Feb. 18, 2016---Evergreen Cemetary in Ft. Lauderdale:

So why am I going to a cemetery???  Well, I actually have a couple reasons.  One is that it's an excursion for CSCC (cemeteries in general).  2nd, it is on the list of birding trails in Broward County.  I haven't had much luck with birding in Broward, so figured having the CSCC excursion was another excuse to go there.

Established in 1910, Evergreen is Fort Lauderdale's oldest intact cemetery.  It is the final resting place of many of the founding families of Fort Lauderdale.  In 1917, the City of Fort Lauderdale purchased the cemetery from Mr. and Mrs. E. T. King. 

I was hoping to find a cemetery like Bellefontaine Cemetery in north St. Louis county, or the historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta, but Evergreen was just a small old cemetery.  I did find a few birds, but I wouldn't call it a birding trail.
 an Ibis, but I'm not sure if it's a mix between a white one and a glossy one or an immature one of either.
 A bunch more Ibises.  These were the birds I saw here.
 statue
 wonder if the fellow buried here picked his sayings for his tombstone.
 one area of the cemetery
 the sign

 more Ibises watching over the cemetery
 one of the few mausoleums.
 another part of the cemetery and another sculpture
 the other bird I saw here.
 another mausoleum
 and another
 the birds coming to greet me---they must be used to being fed!

 sort of eerie

 Didn't spend a lot of time here, but felt it was an interesting venture.

No comments:

Post a Comment