Thursday, January 28, 2016

Jan. 19, 2016---CSCC potluck dinner and awards night:

So I've been a member of the camera club for about 2 months now.  Long enough to learn that the judges they get for the competitions all look for different criteria.  What 1 judge calls a 10, the next might give a 7.  So I've already learned not to take the scores too seriously.  In fact, it's now a night I look forward to for seeing what great pictures that everyone submits are going to be torn apart this time.  But tonight was a special night for the club.  It was the yearly awards potluck dinner.  Even Ken went.  It was $10/person, plus a dish.  I made a caesar salad which turned out really good and disappeared quickly.  We sat with our new friends, Sue and Hi, and some of their friends.  The food was all really good.  Not only did we have my salad, but there were lots of appetisers: hummus, veggies, shrimp, cheese, olives, ... ; lots of entrees: turkey, lasagna, raviolli, meat balls, more shrimp stuff;  2 salads: mine and one with all kinds of strange things in it like pears and sprouts; and 4 or 5 desserts: pie, cake, ice cream.  We ate dinner, then settled in for the judging of more pictures.  You were allowed to enter pictures that were submitted before.  I'm still not sure how many you can actually enter----the web site says 2 digital and 2 prints, but I swear I hear the same names more then 4 times!  Anyway, I only entered 1.  I only had 3 to choose from for 2015.  The other 2 didn't fare that well with the judges before.  I was surprised to see that 2 of the 4 categories had sports pictures as winners (and only 2 sports pictures were entered).   May have to enter more sports pictures in 2016---and make sure no utility lines are present in them.  This time there were 3 judges instead of 1 and they ranked each picture from 1-5, but it took me almost the whole category to figure that out.  I believe my picture got a 12 out of 15 and ranked in the middle of the pack.
Then came the awards---from the photos entered tonight and the cumulative score for the whole year.   I had fun visiting with Sue and enjoyed the dinner, but left with only my empty salad bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment