Sunday, August 30, 2015

2015-8-30---St. Louis Zoo


When we lived here full time, I always thought about going to the zoo or Arch or butterfly garden, or many other places, but it would be decades between trips to most.  So as a tourist, I went to as many as I could fit in.  First to the Botanical Gardens, then to the zoo.  I've always been impressed with our zoo and everytime I go they've added more to it.  It is quite large and beautifully landscaped.  The newest thing there now is the Polar bear enclosure.
 some of the many flowers in the zoo.
 viewing into the pond in the rhino area.
 another baby elephant at the St. Louis zoo.  Raja, the first one born here now has 4 or 5 calves.
 a little climatron butterfly house is relatively new here, too.


 the penguin house---felt really good in there since the weather in St. Louis turned really hot the 2nd week we were there! 
 puffins
 Don't know where they got the boxes from, but 2 of the gorillas were wandering around with boxes that said Latex gloves on them.  I only know that's what the box said because I zoomed into it with my 200 zoom lens.  Wonder if anything was in the boxes?  The day after I was there one of the gorillas died.  Supposedly of a heart condition. 
 a lesser antelope
 a wanna be giraffe and a real one.

a smart lion.
one of the big cats
 more of the beautiful flowers landscaping the zoo. 
Like I mentioned, it got hot!  Temps in the mid 90s with heat indexes well over 100.  People are always commenting isn't it hot in South Florida.  I always say never as bad as the days like we have in St. Louis when they have heat waves---and there usually are some in July and August in St. Louis.  Maybe it's because S. Florida gets almost nightly thunderstorms and lots of clouds to cool it down and St. Louis doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment